Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Smell That?

It's Wednesday. You know what that means? New Comic Book Day!

For a long time, I didn't buy comic books. I didn't read them. I didn't know which ones to follow, what I might like. Eventually, I tried my hand at Age of Apocalypse, a series within the X-Men comic books that I'd seen adapted for television and for computer games repeatedly. I couldn't think of anywhere better to start.

But after that, I ventured into DC. The New 52 had started. I figured, if I'm going to follow a series of comic books, starting at issue 1 is the best place. I was disappointed.

Thankfully, Avengers Vs. X-Men was announced to begin last April. After the twelve book series, Marvel Now! took over. Suddenly, I had over a dozen different series to read in Marvel. Adventures into Google revealed the existence of The Wren, an Irish superhero comic book, which then joined the list of series I would follow. Artos, though only in one issue so far, came from the same company. I thought I had my list.

Then, out of nowhere, Half Past Danger showed up. And, Age of Ultron is coming to an end, soon. There's bound to be more to follow. New Comic Book Day gets more and more exciting. Recent conversation with a comic book enthusiast have lined up a couple of series I'm looking to follow once money allows, too (he specifically mentioned Preacher; I'm also hovering about Sandman in anticipation.)

Today, though, things are even more interesting. There's not just new Comic Book Day to add to the fragrences of the house. Today, I baked cookies. Now, not to be boastful, but my cookies are pretty damn amazing. And the recipe isn't mine. But still, always delicious.

We have people coming down, we're getting food, we have snacks, and there's a smell of baking in the air. Smell that? That's the smell of an awesome summer in the making.

No comments: