Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I Am in Misery

I will begin by stating this one fact: this is not a miserable lamentation for the things that are "wrong" in my first world life. This isn't me moaning about something not going my way.

No, what I'm to moan about I (essentially) signed up for: a horrible series of exams. Beginning this Thursday and lasting three weeks, I have my third year exams in college. Normally we're eased into them, and I suppose we are in terms of exams-per-week (two this week, two the week after, and the week after that, then four...), but we've got a nasty one to begin with.

The module was given the title Mystery of God, but given its ability to make the entire year dread entering the room, and given the history this module has, it received the tentative nickname Misery of God.

And boy is it miserable.

The lectures lasted three hours every week, and while the lecturer tried to make it interesting, the content was just dull. Well, mostly dull. There were some interesting things to look at it, albeit briefly, and a lot of the information went over our heads as a side-effect of the mundaneness of the subject matter. Attention spans waved significantly during those lectures, and I can't help but feel that it's the three hour thing that did it.

And probably the content. That probably had something to do with it.

While I did enjoy certain aspects of the class (such as attempting to answer to the best of our ability some of the questions that were the focus of the module), there was a lot I would have preferred not to suffer through for three hours in a row.

And now we have an exam in it. On Thursday. At ten in the morning.

It gets worse, though. The extent of our the pre-exam tips reached was to remind us what we studied each week - which we can't remember - and to tell us the basic structure of the exam. Not how the questions might be asked, not what we should focus upon. Nothing specifically useful. And this is the lecturer's first year with the module, so last year's exam papers are useless. Useless. Completely and utterly useless.

Hence: misery.

You may find me in a better mood come the weekend, when I'm struggling to get the last of my first chapter done for my research paper. The joys of continuous workloads, eh?

No comments: