Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Gave You My Music...

I'm a big fan of music; I tend to find new types that I like every year; when I was fifteen, it was rock, sixteen was the soul year, seventeen was when I started getting into R&B and Pop and eighteen was when I discovered DFTBA Records. I believe it was also when I fell in love with Phantom of the Opera... or maybe that was when I was seventeen. Whatever... That's where the title of this blog comes from - "I gave you my music, let your song take wing.." Lovely stuff.

I'm here to talk to you about DFTBA Records, though. I'm currently listening to one of their hit songs, Can't, played in six different ways. It's from their new Can't Remixed CD. Very awesome. It's a great way to discover new sound in DFTBA; I'd never listened to MC Lars, Eddplant, Dr Noise, ALL CAPS or Alan and Paige... or Hank, really. I'd heard a couple of songs from Dr Noise, ALL CAPS and Hank, and Alan, I believe, from another EP, but I hadn't heard much of the sound they were capable of. Well worth the buy.

My first taste of DFTBA was through the Trock (Time Lord Rock) band Chameleon Circuit, with their album of the same name. If I remember correctly, I purchased their Volume 1 Compilation album and Taking Leave from Alan Kastufka and Tom Milsom, next. They are awesome! Chameleon Circuit is filled with songs about Doctor Who, and is actually why I was bothered watching an episode of it. The Volume 1 Compilation got me into a number of different sounds from DFTBA, including Molly Lewis and Tom Milsom's own work.

Somewhere along the line I purchased Alex Day's album Parrot Stories. It's a fantastic collection of love songs, and well worth the listen!

I bit the bullet and bought Trock On! and I Made You A CD But I Eated It (the latter from Molly Lewis) a while later. I didn't like Molly's CD until recently... the problem was that I listened to only two songs on it - I Pity the Fu and Peep Fight; I already knew the former, and I didn't like the latter. But I listened to the whole thing and loved it! Trock On! is an amazing compilation of Trock music. Good for Doctor Who fans!

Most recently I've come into possession of the aforementioned Can't Remixed and Tom Milsom's album Painfully Mainstream. Next in line for purchase is Be Mine from ALL CAPS. I can't wait for that one. And I believe Charlie McDonnell is releasing an album at some undefined stage in the future - can't wait!

I have to say, I love Painfully Mainstream. Especially Indigo, which I understand you can listen to online for free! Just go to http://www.dftba.com/ and you'll find all the albums and artists I've mentioned here. When you click on an album, you get a chance to preview the album with a sample track. Made up my mind about Tom Milsom's album, to be honest!

And with that, I bid you adieu. It's time for me to get Lost... okay, bad pun. Lost is on in five minutes! I need tea!

No comments: